Monday, October 01, 2007

Day 1 - Music Class

Today, in my first classes as Music Teacher, I posed the question:
What is Music? to 8th graders. Answers included:

Sound
Beats
Rithum
Something to relax you
Something to motivate you
Soul
Singing
Emotion
Expression
Classic

These kids have too much energy, but we found ways to channel it. I asked them to name some emotions. Answers included:

Love
Anger
Hate
Romantic
Sexy
Flirtatious
Betrayed
Beautiful
Ugly
Sad
Happiness
Joy
Hurt
Fear
Stessed
Confusion

Then, we sang songs to exemplify each emotion, as I crossed them off the board.

At the end of the first period, some of them said, "You make music fun!"

I'd written on the board:

SHARE
EXPRESS
LEARN
FEEL GOOD

I assured them that I was there for THEM and that the class was for them.

The second period with this same group of 8th graders, they read the lyrics to songs in my book, IN PURSUIT OF A MELODY. They really seemed to enjoy doing this.

By the end of the day, I was pooped, and they were jumping across the room like rabbits, but I truly believe they learned something. They told me that they had. So, my first day is done. On to Day 2!

Diva JC

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:44 AM , Blogger Raining Deer said...

It would be nice if your students could have a copy of your cd. It would give them good exposure to jazz and it contains some "fun" tunes which they will really enjoy. Perhaps you can find a sponsor (maybe a music store) to underwrite the cost for a cd for each child as a holiday gift.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home